Pet accidents can happen at any time, even to the healthiest pets who are absolute “good boys and girls.” And prices for treatment can skyrocket into the thousands, whether for intensive care or chronic illnesses over the years. Many pet parents simply aren’t equipped to handle exuberant costs, which is where pet insurance can help. Simply budget for your monthly premium and deductible and pet insurance will take care of the rest.
Call (414) 529-3577 to speak with one of our team members.
How Does it Work?
Pet insurance is similar to human health insurance. You’ll pay a monthly premium, a deductible, and will also be responsible for the costs of care that insurance does not cover. Many pet insurance plans cover up to 90% of your pet’s bill for qualifying conditions, leaving you with a much more manageable bill.
However, one big difference between pet and human health insurance is that pet insurance companies do not pay your veterinarian directly. Instead, it’ll be up to you to cover the initial costs of care and then file a claim with your insurance company to be reimbursed.
Choosing the Right Plan for You and Your Pet
At Crawford Animal Hospital, we accept many different insurance plans, giving you full freedom to choose the right one that works best for your budget and your pet’s health.
Here are some tips for finding that perfect plan:
- Understand what is and isn’t covered. Most insurance companies do not cover pre-existing, hereditary, or congenital conditions. Make sure you know exactly what’s covered and what isn’t so you aren’t surprised down the line!
- Decide the type of plan you want. Pet insurance can cover accidents only, all unexpected illnesses and injuries, and even wellness care! Consider your pet’s health and what plan would work best for that. Also, these plans can vary significantly in cost, so think about your budget, too!
- Think about how you’d like to be reimbursed. There are two ways pet insurance companies reimburse you. One is covering a percentage of the invoice, which could reach up to 90%. The other is to give you an annual benefit of allowances that covers a certain amount each year for each individual condition.
Comparing Two Popular Pet Insurance Companies
To give you a jumpstart in your search, here’s a look at two popular insurance companies and what they offer:
- Offers one simple plan that covers all unexpected illnesses and injuries
- Adjust your premium with a sliding scale that affects your deductible and coverage
- Reimburses the invoice for qualified treatments at 90%
- No yearly cap to reimbursements
- Offers different plans that cover emergencies and/or preventive care.
- Plans feature different premiums to fit any budget
- Reimbursements vary for each plan
- Some plans cap at a certain amount you’re allowed for reimbursement each year
Looking for guidance for choosing a pet insurance plan? Contact us at (414) 529-3577! We’ll be happy to help.
Call us or schedule an appointment online!
Meet with a doctor for an initial exam.
Put a plan together for your pet.