Pet Spay & Neuter for Dogs & Cats in Greenfield, WI
Reproduction is a natural part of life, but it can become a problem for dog and cat populations when left unchecked. Overpopulation results in countless homeless animals and overcrowded shelters. Fortunately, this issue can be resolved with spay and neuter surgeries for cats and dogs. We want Greenfield and area pets to enjoy the longest, healthiest lives they can.
At Crawford Animal Hospital, we believe that spaying and neutering your pets is a significant step towards keeping them healthy. Read on to learn about the health and behavioral benefits your pet can experience from this procedure.
How Does Dog & Cat Spaying & Neutering Keep Them Healthy?
Whether male or female, both cats and dogs can benefit from spay and neuter surgeries:
- Eliminates heat cycle and spotting
- Prevents unplanned pregnancies
- Reduces potential to develop mammary and uterine cancers
- Pyometra and other infections are less likely to develop
- Less likely to roam for breeding purposes
- Reduces aggression
- Can reduce undesirable behaviors including marking and spraying
- Reduces potential to develop prostate issues and testicular cancer
- Will be less likely to roam in search of breeding partner
How Soon Should My Pet Be Spayed or Neutered?
While we generally recommend spaying female cats and dogs before their first heat cycle, we also need to consider their overall health. If a pet is showing signs of illness, we will postpone their surgery to a later date. Your pet's safety always comes first. Furthermore, your veterinarian will take the time to discuss your options and answer your questions regarding the surgery and its benefits.
Reach Out to Us
Spaying and neutering is an important way to keep animal overpopulation down and prevent certain health conditions from developing. We want you to feel comfortable about choosing this procedure for your pet, so please contact us if you have concerns! We'd love to assist you in arranging a consultation with your veterinarian and getting all of your questions answered.